How often do you take the time to look at your roof?
If you’re like most people, you run in and out of your home, shuttle the kids back and forth, glancing up at the roofing occasionally as you back out of the driveway. Have you ever thought about how much you can benefit from regular inspections of your roof? Having it checked by a reputable roofing contractor on a regular basis and performing little fixes when needed can prevent some costly roof repairs down the road therefore keeping your Tempe AZ home dry and well protected. There’s another great benefit, too: Maintaining your roof in a good condition will also be a big plus if you decide to sell your property. So when you identify any roof repairs that are needed, you need to get in touch with a roofer.
Take it from the top.
So, what should you be aware of and look for when inspecting your roof? You should know that The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) advises homeowners to perform a roof inspection at least twice a year – during spring and fall. The best start is to begin from inside your house — get a flashlight and make a trip up to the attic.
- On the inside, there are four things to look for:Spots where the roof deck is sagging.
- Signs of any leaking or water damage.
- Trails or dark spots.
- Outside light percolate through the roof.
When you inspect the exterior of the roofing construction, pay attention to such things as missing shingles, damaged flashing, blistering, buckling, curling, rotting or algae growth (which occurs most often in humid climates and seems like as greenish or dark stains). For your safety, it is best to contact a professional roofer in Tempe AZ to carry out the exterior check.
We offer these tips on what to check on the outside:
- Visually inspect your roof for torn, bald, cracked, or missing shingles.
- Check the roof for wear or loose material around vents, chimneys, pipes or other penetrations.
- Look out for an excessive amount of shingle granules in the gutters. They look like large grains of sand and indicate advanced wear.
- Check for signs of rot, moisture or mold. Bear in mind that wet spots may not be directly under your defective shingle; water can travel down to its lowest spot before it start dripping. Fungi mold and bacteria can grow very fast — within 24 to 48 hours of a water-related problem.
- Inspect the drainage, and make sure downspouts and gutters are securely attached. Also, ensure all drains are open, allowing water to travel and exit freely, that all gutters and downspouts are free of debris.
- Check that all kitchen, dryer and bath vents go entirely outside of your house, not just into the attic space.
However, performing the inspection on your own is not only time consuming but hazardous as well. Roman Roofing Inc of Tempe AZ is a reputable and reliable roofing contractor that can perform the inspection for you. You will get professional result while staying safe at home. For any kind of roof repair you can turn to our experienced roofers.